Saturday, November 22, 2008

It Aint Over

Well, I suppose I haven't learned enough patience throughout this whole experience......cause it aint over. Just when I thought we were done, Cameron's score jumped up again and he had to go back under the lights this afternoon. I won't lie. I'm heartbroken, disappointed, frustrated, discouraged. Why has this been such a long ordeal you may ask? Don't lots of infants suffer from jaundice? The answer is yes, many newborns suffer from mild to moderate jaundice. The difference with Cameron is that his jaundice is merely a symptom of a bigger 'disease'. He has a form of hemolytic disease, referred to as ABO incompatibility or Coombs positive by all his doctors and nurses. To put it simply, I have O+ blood type and Cameron has A+. When our blood came in contact during pregnancy my blood started making antibodies against his blood. These antibodies attack his red blood cells and 'kill' them. Once he was born and my liver was no longer disposing of his broken down red blood cells, he was left with an excessive amount of expired red blood cells to dispose of himself. With an underdeveloped liver it is too much for his little body to handle. Bilirubin is the yellow breakdown product of the expired red blood cells. When your body is unable to dispose of the broken down cells, the bilirubin piles up and stores in the fatty tissues, causing the yellowish color in jaundice. The concern is when the bili level gets so high that the possibility of it entering the brain and causing permanent damage (kernicterus) is high. That is why they acted so fast with Cameron in the hospital. Many nurses told me his was the highest score they had ever seen. (Thankfully this was days after he was admitted to the NICU, after his scores had come down, so I could respond rationally.) When I initially asked the doctors how long he would need to be under the lights they told me that it all depended on how long my antibodies lasted. Apparently they're still running rampant in his body, attacking his red blood cells. My poor little boy. Wish I could just tell those stupid antibodies of mine to die off already. When that will be no one knows. Thanksgiving would sure be nice.

13 comments:

Amy said...

oh summer! I am so sorry that is so hard! We will continue to pray for you guys! Let me know if I can do anything for you

The Rich Family said...

Hi Summer, I'm sorry this is happening to you and your family. There are so many things that can go wrong with pregnancies, and birth/deliveries and new little babies, and your family is one that is strong and faithful enough to get through it and to come out stronger and closer in the end. Heavenly Father has blessed you with such a beautiful little boy and he is so lucky to have parents like you guys. You will all be in our prayers, especially Cameron. Please call if you ever want to talk. I have a good feeling that this will all be over soon.

Nathan & Jen said...

Oh Summer! I am so sorry. Is your mother-in-law there now to help with Kennedy? I hope so. I wish we could help you some!! We will pray for little Cameron!

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

Cameron!!! No more misbehaving. Get those bili levels down so your mommy can hold and cuddle you whenever she wants. You have until Thursday!!!!

We love you guys so much and will keep you in our prayers. One thing that I kept telling myself when Savannah was in the NICU (since I knew she would be fine in the long run) was that eventually all of this would just be a bad memory. You seem to be handling it better than i did, but something good to keep in mind. Big hugs from the Porters. =)

Lindsey, J.D. said...

Oh Summer, I am sorry! It is so hard to have to just keep waiting and worrying. I am glad the doctors seem to be on top of everything and hope that this will calm down soon ... we will keep hoping and praying.

Jene and Megan said...

I'm sorry Summer! I can't imagine how you must be feeling. I wish I lived close by so that I could come and help you out with Kennedy or make you dinner or something!!
Cameron sounds like a little fighter and I am sure things will work out. Hang in there just a bit longer!!

Quinn & Dani Gooch said...

Summer, hang in there! I can't even imagine how frustrating that would be, not to mention so scary and stressful. Your family is in our prayers. Thanks for the updates, I have been wanting to call but I am sure you have your hands full. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! Let me know if there's anything I can help with! I have some connections with Kneaders if you wanna stop in for a meal on us! Just let me know!

Anonymous said...

Summer, I'm checking in often and thinking of you. I'm so sorry, this must be such a frustrating and scary time for you. Know that so many people are thinking and praying for you.

Dani said...

Summer, I am so sorry. I have not been blogging enough lately to check others' blogs and have been completely out of the loop. This is so so so hard, I can imagine. I am so sorry and love you. We are definitely keeping your family in our prayers, especially Cameron. He's precious. So precious! love you!

Erin S. said...

that stinks summer! those little light beds are such a pain especially when it is cold outside and they have to be nakey the whole day. hang in there...hopefully by thanksgiving you can be thankful it's over!!!

Anonymous said...

ok. stop making excuses for me to not come see you. golly!
:)
I hope this is the last time your little man needs to 'see the light.' I want to come and meet him!
Let me know when I can. I want to be able to come when I can hold him.
Good luck, hang in there.
ah! The poor baby just needs his mommy to hold him!

Kory said...

This is no good. I'm really sorry. I wish I could help. I'm in tight with the big man upstairs, so I'll put in a good word for you.