Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Nerd Redefined


James and his study buddy, Nathan, enthusiastically exhibiting their study material

I've joked around with my husband that he's a nerd at times. Why you might ask? Because he LOVES learning. More than anyone I know in fact. He finds great pleasure in reading just about anything you can imagine. Business, Philosophy, History, Religion, Politics.... If he wasn't so dang ambitious I know he'd be in school the rest of his life getting degree after degree. True Story: He purchased a Psychology textbook at one of BYU's sidewalk sales for a few dollars because he said it was a class he thinks he would have enjoyed. I'm talking a large, bulky, 800 page textbook that normal human beings (such as myself) dread having to purchase for class. I did everything I could in college to avoid my textbook reading. James here on the other hand......I have never seen someone so excited to crack open a textbook. He read the majority of the book over the next month or so for his 'enjoyable side reading'. Unbelievable. This man reads about 2-3 books a month. (And trust me it would be more if he had the time.) And so you can see why I tease him about being a nerd. Then I decided the other day to look up the actual definition of the word. And here's what I found:

nerd: an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person ; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits

Slavishly is debatable, (although he was a slave to that GMAT Prep Book for hours and hours and hours and hours everyday this summer :), but obsessively devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits I would say sums my man up well. However, my James happens to be very stylish, extremely attractive --

Exhibit "A" :)


and just about the least socially inept person I know. He makes friends everywhere he goes and everyone who meets him loves him. I love my nerdy husband. I love that he can help my ignorance when it comes to the history of the middle east, the leadership of China over the past century, economic policy, the Muslim faith....just to name a few.



Tomorrow we celebrate our 4 year anniversary. Wow. Every year has gotten better and better. Here's to many more with my sweetheart. I love you babe!

4 comments:

Dani said...

Happy Four Years!!!!!! Yay!!! I was just thinking about your stunning wedding reception the other day. You were a beautiful bride. Hey, by the way, I bet that short blonde haircut would look AMAZING on you!! You could pull anything off anyway.

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

Happy anniversary guys! You are an adorable couple. We love and miss you both.

The Rich Family said...

Happy Anniversary!!
Please e-mail me and tell me what you guys did. I need some ideas for ours that is coming up in a few months! We miss you guys!!

Brittany said...

What a sweet post! You guys are so cute together! I can't believe how fast time flys!