Wednesday, September 5, 2007

First Flight

We are flying out Friday morning to gold ol' Texas for KC Shean's wedding. She is one of James' best friends from high school whom he had the privilege of baptizing after his mission. She is getting married in the San Antonio Temple this Saturday. We are so excited and proud of her! This will be our first experience flying with Kennedy and I would love any helpful hints/advice from all you experienced mommies!

4 comments:

Heather and Trevor said...

Well I wouldn't call myself experienced at motherhood yet by any means......but who can! :)..... We took Emma to D.C. to visit my sister backin May and then again today(yes today..I'm at my sisters typing this) and it was very different now because she is so wiggly now! I would get a GOOD NEW TOY for the flight to keep her entertained....something I lacked....and make sure she is sucking on something when you take off and land. Oh and lots of treats! Hope it helps! Good Luck!

JenSwen said...

We flew with Kate a lot when she was younger, but it's been awhile. I would bring a small portable/fold-up stroller because it's nice to be able to wheel the baby around in the airport rather than carry her but you want something small that won't take up a lot of space in the car when you have lots of luggage to fit in too. You can take it right up to the plane and they'll check it there and have it for you when you land (you probably already know this). Bring a change of clothes in case of a diaper blowout! And if you have to change her on the plane, most airlines have a little changing table you can pull down above the toilet but we didn't know to even look for it the first time so we tried to change her ON the toilet seat - not a good experience for us or her! Kate never had ear problems during takeoff or landing but I hear it happens.

Wow, that was long... Anyway, Kennedy's pigtails are great! I wish Kate had some hair to work with. The website Scott uses to edit videos is called Intervideo WinDVD Creator, and it came with our regular software, but it's really not the greatest program; I'm sure you could find a better one.

Happy travelling! Sorry for the super-long comment.

Anonymous said...

Just have a bottle for take-off, and it helps if she's really tired at that time too, because she might eat and fall asleep. That's GREAT! The stroller thing is a must, bring lots of toys, and if she's eating any little snacks, bring lots too. One of my carry-ons is full of toys, food for the baby, and diapers. :)

Hannah said...

This is my FAVORITE trick: As soon as you get to the gate, go to the desk and ask if there are any open seats on the flight. And, if there are, see if you can be routed next to one. I do this everytime I fly and 80% of the time they find me an empty seat for Erica to be in. This is GREAT because it's free, and so helpful. Sometimes your arms just need a break! When she was little, I took her carseat with me and then she would sleep really well, but if Kennedy sleeps well in your arms, you're probably okay.

You may also consider taking a baby bjorn to the airport instead of the stroller, only if that is easier for you. Sometimes it's nice to have a stroller, sometimes it's nice to NOT have to deal with it, and a bjorn still keeps your arms free.

Good luck!